Monday, April 4, 2011

Interpersonal Communication #9

Well, we are backtracking to Chapter 4 -- and a good topic it is, indeed! Uncertainty. It can be exciting, or it can really piss us off... either way, it means we have no idea what to expect.

Uncertainty is a key topic in many of our relationships. Sometimes we wish to remain uncertain about our relational partner, because we may not want to know a horrible fact. ("You can't handle the truth!"... sorry, couldn't resist...) Other times--actually, from my experience, most of the time--we want to reduce that uncertainty.

Uncertainty can really make us uncomfortable. Just ask my friend who refused to try anything other than McDonald's when we were all in Germany. Not a single brezel or bratwurst... she needed her frickin Happy Meal. Whatever... But I get it -- uncertainty is not something that many people are comfortable with, yet it's something in every one of our relationships.

Think of it this way: when you meet someone, your guard is certainly up, because you are not certain of what you can expect. Why do you think I've never asked a girl on a date? (by the way, that's not true. or maybe it is.) Because I am uncertain of the reaction I'll get. Will she say yes? Will she morph her face into a horrific shriek? Will she throw her drink in my face? Will she just laugh?

Bottom line, I guess I really see the need for uncertainty in some relationships, but I still think it makes things overcomplicated and uncomfortable. And people generally feel that way, because we all want to reduce it. That's why we grow close with people -- over time, we break down wall after wall of uncertainty.

I am still not certain of many of my friends' reactions to my sense of humor. But it doesn't stop me from making a witty comment (read: attempting to tell a funny joke). Am I trying to break down uncertainty each time I joke? Why is there still uncertainty? I think talking this through has now made me sufficiently confused, to tell the truth... I've thought about so many of my own relationships, and now I'm kinda depressed about uncertainty. I'm gonna go eat a Happy Meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment