Monday, April 4, 2011

Interpersonal Communication #10

Our next topic is privacy and secrecy in relationships. To make this applicable, I am going to use personal experiences. And since this is a blog that averages 1.8 viewers a month, I am going to post all my intimate secrets here.

Not really.

But see my point? I don't post all my secrets, because there are some parts to each of us that we keep private from anybody else. And this is a part of every single one of our relationships in life.

Boundaries!

These are established in all of our relationships, and it's no doubt that each of us have had to negotiate these with our different relational partners. Mom wants too much information about your social life? A friend asks something deeply personal? These are examples where boundaries need to be set between what you reveal and what you keep private.

Of course, there is a challenge that comes into some relationships, and it's a dramatic one! Obsessive Relational Intrusion -- "DUH, DUH, DUUUH!!" (haha, I just love the name of this -- it is so over-the-top! :P)

Obsessive Relational Intrusion (or ORI... see what I did there?) takes many forms, and I can guarantee that I have experience with many of them. I think I am kind of an ORI perpetrator, in some ways. But aren't we all? I love to prod people for juicy gossip, but it can sometimes start pushing the envelope of privacy. I guess I'd better watch it from now on. :/

Conversely, there are plenty of times when certain people in my life have used annoying behavior, passive-aggressive texts, and many other forms to pry into my life. I have this one friend who maybe thinks we are closer than we are, and this person always asks nosy questions, then gets "offended" when I don't reveal them -- it's like dealing with a pouty baby!

So should I take it as a compliment when ORI is used against me? Or should I be worried that said perpetrator may turn into a stalker? "DUH, DUH, DUUUH!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment